Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Last blog from London

I have about 2 hours until the car comes to pick me up for the airport, so am having a cup of tea before I sit on the suitcases............
I have managed to negotiate our way around London with only a tube map and a bus site seeing map (not to scale or many streets on it), so it obviously is a pretty easy place for tourists to get around (well centrally in London!)
As long as you have played monopoly you'll be right....ha ha. Actually every block or so they have either tourist maps saying you are here, and from here you can walk to these places in 5 mins or it points you further afield as in The Strand that way and British Museum that way. Very nice and very easy....,
This morning after a leisurely breakfast I made my way to the British Museum to check out the bits of The Parthenon they have and other things. The museum was very nice and if we hadn't just visited Egypt, Athens, Rome, Florence, Istanbul etc it would have been a fascinating place to visit. I still spent maybe 2 or so hours wandering about before walking back to the hotel and making my way down to St James's park to soak up the sun that has finally decided to shine after 12 days of hiding!
When I got to the park I sat in one of the many deck chairs that Katie and I had seen previously, closed my eyes and was then disturbed by a gentleman asking for $1.50 for an hour of sitting, I groggily handed over the money, he handed me a receipt with the time printed on it for when my time was up.................so I sat there for the allotted hour!
Well nearly the hour, after watching folks coming past me eating gelati I decided to get some of my own, it has been a few days since we ate any. After getting the mango and cherry I found I still had 10 mins in a chair, so located a new chair and sat and ate, and while doing that I had my chair ticket checked! Lucky I had 5 mins left :)
Hopefully I'll blog one last time when I get home to neatly summarise this experience..........but don't get your hopes up.
Thanks to everyone who commented, that was the first page I'd go to (I have a separate page where I can read comments from). Much appreciated, and to the folks who were reading this from work (naughty) but I know you couldn't comment from there anyway, so I hope you didn't use too much internet reading this!!
This has been fun and writing this has helped (or hopefully will help) me remember all the amazing things we got to do and see. ................
Part of the Parthenon, there was a whole lot more in the museum

There were a few of these sort of things where the heads (or arms etc) are in Athens or elsewhere!


Inside museum, with more stairs to climb :)

Made me think of Ally......she is worshipped too.

The deck chairs

Mango and cherry, mmmmm





5 comments:

  1. Each morning I wake up, reach for the iPad and vicariously share your pleasure via your blog. I feel like we have been on holidays for the past two months. Thanks for your commitment to your blog it has been wonderful. Top marks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. It has been such a pleasure to follow your journey.

    Wishing you a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hels it's been great reading your blog, the highlight of my day. And you were right it's much better than a post card. Looking forward to catching up when you get back.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks from me too Helen, I have enjoyed your blog and will miss your posts. (That's easy fixed, you and Katie will have to do the other half of the cruise in the future and blog again!)

    I hope you had a good trip back home and have seen your precious little grandaughter by now. Katie will have a ball on her travels and I'm sure you will miss her while she is away.

    Best wishes to you both from a Melbournite who wishes she was still on her 1st cruise in the nice warm sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeh, am finally back to a computer that I can comment from. Too late for cruise, but just wanted to do it. Also now have internet access....went missing for a few days. Will end blog in next few days, although it may need to stay open for the next trip :)

    ReplyDelete